When is Onam 2020? Story, Essay, Onam Pookalam 2020 Start and End Dates. Complete details on How to celebrate Onam festival.
Onam in 2020 is on Saturday, 22 August 2020, (22/8/2020) and end on Wednesday, 2 September 2020.
Onam 2020 Story
It is believed that Onam celebrations started during the Sangam Period. Record of celebrations can be found from the time of Kulasekhara Perumals (800 AD). At that time Onam celebrations continued for a month.
Significance of Onam Day in Mythology
The day of Onam is decided in accordance with the legend of King Mahabali in whose honor Onam is celebrated. People believe that it was this particular day in the month of Chingam when Lord Vishnu took his fifth avatar as Vaamana, appeared in the kingdom of King Mahabali and sent him to nether world.
People believe that it is on the last day, Tiruonam that the spirit of King Maveli visits Kerala, hence the day is marked by feast and festivities. Devotees of Maveli celebrate the golden era witnessed in Maveli’s reign during Onam. To welcome their revered ruler, people lay flower mats (Pookalam) in the front courtyard, prepare a grand meal (Onasadya), dance, play and make merry. All this is done to impress upon King Mahabali that his people are prosperous and happy.
Other Hindu Holidays in 2020:
- When is Vishwakarma Puja in 2020? Date, Time, History, Muhurat, Mantra
- When is Ganesh Visarjan in 2020? Date, Time, History, Muhurat
- When is Ganesh Chaturthi in 2020? Date, History, Story, Celebration
- When is Holi in 2020
- When is Onam 2020? Story, Essay, Onam Pookalam 2020 Dates
- When is Rath Yatra 2020? Date, Time
- When is Raksha Bandhan in 2020 Date Day, History, Meaning
- When is Maha Shivaratri in 2020? Date Day, Story, Calendar
- When is Diwali in 2020? Date, Time, Calendar