When is Onam 2018? Story, Essay, Onam Pookalam 2018 Dates. Complete details on How to celebrate Onam festival.
Onam in 2018 is on Friday, 24th August 2018, (24/8/2018)
Onam 2018 Story
It is believed that Onam celebrations started during the Sangam Period. Record of celebrations can be found from the time of Kulasekhara Perumals (800 AD). At that time Onam celebrations continued for a month.
Significance of Onam Day in Mythology
The dayof Onam is decided in accordance with the legend of King Mahabali in whose honor Onam is celebrated. People believe that it was this particular day in the month of Chingam when Lord Vishnu took his fifth avatar as Vaamana, appeared in the kingdom of King Mahabali and sent him to nether world.
People believe that it is on the last day, Tiruonam that the spirit of King Maveli visits Kerala, hence the day is marked by feast and festivities. Devotees of Maveli celebrate the golden era witnessed in Maveli’s reign during Onam. To welcome their revered ruler, people lay flower mats (Pookalam) in the front courtyard, prepare a grand meal (Onasadya), dance, play and make merry. All this is done to impress upon King Mahabali that his people are prosperous and happy.
Other Hindu Holidays in 2018:
- Ganesh Chaturthi Wishes, Sms, Messages 2018
- When is Vishwakarma Puja in 2018? Date, Time, History, Muhurat, Mantra
- When is Ganesh Visarjan in 2018? Date, Time, History, Muhurat
- When is Ganesh Chaturthi in 2018? Date, History, Story, Celebration
- Happy Rakhi messages, Wishes 2018
- Raksha Bandhan Songs – Rakhi Special Songs Download
- Rakhi Quotes, Status, Shayari 2018
- Happy Raksha Bandhan Images, Pics, Photos, Wallpapers 2018
- Raksha Bandhan Shayari, Messages, Gifts, Images, Pics 2018
- Raksha Bandhan Wishes, Status, Sms, Messages, Gifts, Pictures 2018